14 May 2010

Creating my first cake...

Well... to be honest I'm not a huge fan of cakes. During any birthdays parties, I would often take a pass on the birthday cakes. Having said that, the cake I adore the most is chocolate and I dislike all the vanilla cakes I have tasted so far... I never take in more than one piece of cake at a time. I just don't crave for seconds...

Making a cake never cross my mind... until recently when I watched Masterchef Australia. The Black Forest cake during the Pressure Test looks so tasty, so I had to try it. The problem was, it was quite complicated to make, and I did not have the sophisticated utensils. So, there were a lot of estimating going on... and I simplified the recipe... Nevertheless, I made the cake with my wife and it turned out quite well, but definitely could be better.

For one the sponge did not rise enough so it wasn't delicately soft, probably overcooked it a bit but it turned out okay. So, in terms of texture, we did not nail it. We could not get fresh cherries, so we resulted to canned cherries which in my opinion, was a big letdown. We would have nailed the taste of the cake if we could get our hands on fresh cherries... Oh well...

On the bright side, the chocolate and the Mascarpone cream flavours were bang on... This is partly, they were easy to make and the flavour are already there, nothing much need to be done...

Here's the picture of a slice of the Black Forest cake....


As you can see, there is definitely room for improvement in the presentation, too...





And some pictures of my model posing with the slice of cake...

0 comments:

Post a Comment