27 May 2010

My first true Leica product

As we all know leica is famous for the ridiculous price tags imposed on their products and purists will claim leica lenses give the best quality and 'magic' look. So, I recently acquired the current Leica 50mm Summicron ASPH f2.0 in a used condition.

This is a lens used for M mount rangefinders, be it film or digital. Of course, I do not have the latest Leica M9 digital rangefinder, but what I have with me is the Voigtlander Bessa R3A film rangefinder. It probably would give a different look in digital but for now, let's see what this lens can do for film. I used the Fujifilm Pro 400H for all the images below...




Nice skin tones are rendered with the Fujifilm Pro 400H... Love it


The focus is on the eyes, and the focus is nailed... just look how sharp the eye is...






Lots of good detail in this picture here...






The bokeh is smooth and dreamy and pretty shallow at f2.0




Just look at the punch of the colours... sure's pack a punch...










Again, nice, not overly saturated colours...




The colours of the sky in this picture reminds me why I'm shooting with film... you also get more dynamic range...




Look at how the film renders the red...




The green is often rendered quite dull in most digital renditions, but this film favours green and it gives a bit of punch to it.




This lens is sharp with a lot detail, no doubt. What's more, the bokeh is smooth and creamy and shallow for creative subject isolation. Now I wish for M9 to be cheaper... that's all...

0 comments:

Post a Comment